11/2/17

That's What I Call The Winter 2017 Edition

Wanna hear hit songs anywhere from a few months to a couple of decades old? Now That's What I Call Music has you covered. Just in time for the Holiday shopping season comes four new entries:
  • Now That's What I Call Music! 64 [US]
  • Now That's What I Call The 00s [US]
  • Now That's What I Call The 00s [UK]
  • Now That's What I Call 60s [UK]
On November 3, 2017, the sixty-fourth volume in the nineteen-year-old United States branch of the Now That's What I Call Music! series will be released. NOW 64 features sixteen hits and six NOW What's Next! tracks. For chart heads like us, NOW 64 is notable for having two of the longest-running Number One songs ever on the Billboard charts.
While the Justin Beiber assisted "Despacito" was Number One on the Hot 100 for a record-tying sixteen weeks and is included on NOW 64, the Beiber-less original (above) from Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee was HERC's 2017 Summer Jam and spent thirty-five weeks atop the Top Latin Songs chart, a run second only to Enrique Iglesias's "Bailando". The video above is currently the most viewed video in YouTube history with more than three billion views, all within 2017. Sam Hunt's "Body Like A Back Road", another track on NOW 64, holds the record for most weeks spent at Number One on Billboard's Hot Country Songs chart with a 41-week run. Besides "Despacito", my other favorite track on NOW 64 is this one:
Now That's What I Call The 00s (some pronounce 00s as the Naughties but I pronounce it uh-oh's) was originally released in the UK in February 2010. The three-disc set was loaded with sixty songs form the decade and AllMusic's Jon O'Brien called it "a fairly comprehensive retrospective which successfully represents an exciting and eclectic ten years of chart hits." For its US debut, NOW 00s has been slimmed down to a single disc of eighteen songs, almost all of which have previously appeared on a NOW disc here in the US. Tracks 10-13 are my sweet spot:

NOW 00s is also being released in the UK on November 10, 2017, as a triple-disc set with sixty-one tracks. Only nineteen of those tracks also appear on the 2010 version of NOW 00s so it might be a worthy purchase for fans of the decade's music. Each of the three discs represents a major genre:
  • Disc One is Pop
  • Disc Two is R&B/Urban
  • Disc Three is Indie/Alternative
My favorite songs on the album are represented below by their music videos. Let's watch!








On November 17, 2017, Now That's What I Call 60s will be released in the UK. A three-disc set with 74 songs lasting just over three and a half hours, NOW 60s just may be the only album of Sixties music you'll ever need... assuming you already own an album each from The Beatles and Sixties-era Rolling Stones, whose songs are rarely if ever licensed for various artist compilations. NOW 60s may just render your copy of The Big Chill soundtrack irrelevant. Dylan's here, songs from most of Motown's brightest are here as are The Archies, The Monkees, Sinatra, Satchmo, James Brown, The Byrds, etc. etc. I've mentioned several NOW discs in the past that I think my Mom would like but this is the first one I know Dad would have definitely liked. I'd buy it for him as a Birthday or Christmas gift, he'd open it and read the tracklisting, punctuating most songs with a giddy "Oooh, I like that one" and then he'd listen to it in his truck on the way home. After a week or so, he'd call me up and ask for help ripping the three discs into iTunes (he'd always forget that he had to be connected to the internet for iTunes to know what songs were on the disc; my late father in law had the same issue and I can only think why in the world the two of them would not want to be connected to the internet at times) so he could put them on his iPod and listen while he was out in his shop, riding the mower around the yard or just hanging out in the shade down by the creek. We'd spend the rest of the year, until the following Birthday or Christmas, remembering "that great album of Sixties music" I got him as if it was the greatest thing in the world anyone had ever done for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment