12/28/17

Top 100 Hits of 1977 according to San Diego's B-100: 50-1

As part of my ongoing counseling, I've challenged myself to make new friends. Not to replace the ones I have - I know you're reading and you guys are awesome - but to satisfy my natural curiosity, increase my happiness and stave off that pesky depression and guilt that are the reasons I go to counseling in the first place.
Back at the end of July, my wife read an article about her favorite local radio disc jockey, Bobby Rich (that's him above giving the thumbs up). The article said that he had retired in February but he was keeping busy running the internet station he started as a hobby in 2011. Curious about his internet station - Bobby's B100.fm - I went to the station's website, clicked on the player and began listening. And I began researching Rich's long career, reading many features in Billboard and Radio & Records. Then I downloaded the station's iOS app and listened even more. And I've been listening very regularly ever since.
On August 15, 2017, I emailed Bobby Rich to tell him how much I really loved what he was doing with the station. Much to my surprise, he replied. On August 21, I emailed him a song suggestion that I thought would fit in with the music he was playing: "Don't You Write Her Off" by McGuinn, Clark and Hillman. Just two hours later, he replied to say that he had "bought, dubbed, numbered, categorized and scheduled the song" and then I heard it on B100.fm. A few email conversations transpired over the next few days while he probably ran a background check on his newest obsessed fan and possible stalker and then I get a text with his address and the message "Can you come by tomorrow?" So I went over, nervous as all get out and was blown away by the man (who actually came out and greeted me at my car as I was trying to calm down) and his B100 studio.
My new friend Bobby, a radio legend, left town shortly thereafter for an open-ended road trip up the California coast into Oregon and was excited to try programming the station remotely using some new software. After three days of successful remote programming, the station's PC stopped responding and would not connect so Bobby texted and asked if I could go over to his house and program the next three days worth of music with his guidance on Facetime. It was an exhilarating experience, and I might have done well because he has asked me to program B100.fm several times since. I've written several posts for the B100.fm blog and also have had nearly a dozen "new" oldies suggestions added to the on-air rotation with Bobby's approval as he only plays songs he really likes including nearly all the singles below, which he initially programmed back in 1977.
50. FLOAT ON/The Floaters
49. KEEP IT COMIN' LOVE/KC and the Sunshine Band
48. I LIKE DREAMIN'/Kenny Nolan
47. FREE/Deniece Williams
46. SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED (I'M YOURS)/Peter Frampton

45. JUNGLE LOVE/The Steve Miller Band
44. WEEKEND IN NEW ENGLAND/Barry Manilow
43. GO YOUR WON WAY/Fleetwood Mac
42. MARGARITAVILLE/Jimmy Buffett
41. COLD AS ICE/Foreigner

40. (YOUR LOVE HAS LIFTED ME) HIGHER AND HIGHER/Rita Coolidge
39. DAZZ/Brick
38. HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE/Bee Gees
37. I'M IN YOU/Peter Frampton
36. DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY/Thelma Houston
35. SO IN TO YOU/Atlanta Rhythm Section
34. I FEEL LOVE/Donna Summer
33. SIR DUKE/Stevie Wonder
32. NOBODY DOES IT BETTER/Carly Simon
31. I'M YOUR BOOGIE MAN/KC and the Sunshine Band
30. CHRISTINE SIXTEEN/KISS
29. TORN BETWEEN TWO LOVERS/Mary MacGregor
28. YOU MAKE ME FEEL LIKE DANCING/Leo Sayer
27. WHEN I NEED YOU/Leo Sayer
26. DON'T GIVE UP ON US/David Soul
25. EASY/Commodores
24. BLUE BAYOU/Linda Ronstadt
23. RICH GIRL/Hall & Oates
22. YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE/Debby Boone
21. CAR WASH/Rose Royce
20. NEW KID IN TOWN/Eagles
19. UNDERCOVER ANGEL/Alan O'Day
18. I WISH/Stevie Wonder
17. GOT TO GIVE IT UP/Marvin Gaye
16. DANCING QUEEN/ABBA
15. FLY LIKE AN EAGLE/Steve Miller
14. GONNA FLY NOW (THEME FROM ROCKY)/Maynard Ferguson
13. LONG TIME/Boston
12. BOOGIE NIGHTS/Heatwave
11. DON'T STOP/Fleetwood Mac
10. BEST OF MY LOVE/Emotions
09. YEAR OF THE CAT/Al Stewart
08. BRICK HOUSE/Commodores
07. CARRY ON WAYWARD SON/Kansas
06. STAR WARS THEME/CANTINA BAND/Meco
05. BLINDED BY THE LIGHT/Manfred Mann's Earth Band
04. I JUST WANT TO BE YOUR EVERYTHING/Andy Gibb
03. HOTEL CALIFORNIA/Eagles
02. EVERGREEN (LOVE THEME FROM A STAR IS BORN)/Barbra Streisand
01. DREAMS/Fleetwood Mac




No comments:

Post a Comment